Thursday, November 29, 2012

Congressional Hearing on Autism

In case you missed it today, here is the video of the Congressional Hearing about Autism from today. It is totally worth the watch. For my Autism friends, it will leave you cheering, yelling, mad, elated that some in our government DO get it (a few because their grandchildren, nephews were diagnosed with Autism), sad at hearing the reality (especially the "aging out" part) and many other emotions.



And maybe if you don't (yet) have a child/grandchild/niece/nephew/friend's child with Autism, you will soon. And I don't say that to be mean, I say that in sadness and all honesty. With the numbers 1 in 88 and for boys that means 1 in 54, your odds are pretty good (or bad depending on how you look at it). And I know people like that. People who have NO CLUE what it is like to raise a child with Autism. Who cannot perceive the sacrifices we make because, what choice do we have? This is our CHILD. We would sacrifice anything to help them.

I don't normally post pictures of my family on this blog but I decided to break those rules to stand with my fellow Autism Moms/Dads in our "Not born with it" campaign to raise more awareness. My son was NOT born with it. Here are 3 photos, before Autism, during Autism and AFTER Autism. Autism is NOT purely genetic, it is treatable, kids can get better and my son is proof. He will probably ALWAYS be affected by this disorder called Autism. But it is my job to make sure I get those roadblocks out of his way the best way I can.

Before Autism
During Autism
After Autism!

No comments: