Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Chickpea chocolate chip cookies

Photos courtesy of my 14 year old aspiring photographer ;)

Say what?? I read the recipe and I was all in. A healthier cookie?!? Yeah baby!! The 14 year old gave me a look like "What you talkin' bout mom??". The 8 and 6 year olds are used to my wacky recipes, they tuned everything out except chocolate so I had their buy in. 14 year old made me read the comments, "Well they all say these LOOK really good, no one says what they taste like". Hmmmm, scroll some more "Here's one!! They say they taste delicious". Tentative buy in, because after all, it does have chocolate in it.

I got the recipe from Texanerin. I made just a few mods.

  • 1 1/4 cups canned chickpeas, well-rinsed 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons natural sunbutter
  • 1/4 cup combo of part coconut nectar and part coconut sugar (low on honey)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup mini Enjoy Life chocolate chips
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Combine all the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, in a food processor and process until very smooth. Make sure to scrape the sides and the top to get the little chunks of chickpeas and process again until they're combined. Put in the chocolate chips and stir it. The mixture will be very thick and sticky. With wet hands, form into 1 1/2" balls. Place onto a piece of parchment paper. If you want them to look more like normal cookies, press down slightly on the balls. They don't do much rising. Bake for about 10 minutes. Yields about 32 1 1/2" cookie dough balls. The original recipe said 14, ours didn't look a lot smaller than hers but we sure got a lot more than 14!

Enjoy and either divulge that these are healthier (or not)! Now off to grab another before they are all gone....

2 comments:

Elizabeth, blogging for SunButter said...

Chickpeas. Cookies. Not an oxymoron! I found your recipe because I blog for SunButter, and I'm always looking for new creations. THIS is a winner I can't wait to try. Thanks for the inspiraton and the professional photos (heehee). Take care!

Holli said...

Thanks for this recipe! It's a good thing Elizabeth found it--she posted the link to your page on facebook. As soon as I read the recipe, I made them--quick, easy, all ingredients pantry staples and quite delicious! My husband called to let me know he'd be home in a half hour from work, and I got a batch started, and finished by the time he changed clothes and was ready for some. That's what I call a good recipe!