Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Strawberry cake/cupcakes




So for the 4th of July holiday, I wanted to make some red, white and blue cupcakes using REAL fruit. Most of the recipes I found called for boxes of "strawberry" gelatin with just a handful of real strawberries and they were that very unnatural pink color. Now I will say I did cheat, normally I would make the cupcakes from scratch using my GF flour blends I mix at home. But hey, it was a holiday and mom needed a shortcut. So I grabbed the Betty Crocker yellow GF cake mix. What I did was sub in pureed strawberries instead of the water. Viola, real strawberry cupcakes with no dyes or artificial flavors to give it that strawberry taste. I topped them with homemade strawberry "buttercream" frosting and let the kids decorate them with frozen blueberries. They were a hit, even with the non-GFCF friends we had over. I hope you and your family had a very happy and safe 4th of July!

No comments: