Thursday, April 22, 2010

Special mothers and how they are chosen

I just love my Facebook Autism "sisters". Many of you I only know from your profile, your postings and our common thread of raising a child with special needs. You are there for me, give me strength and understand me. You get my "bad" days and can relate to what I face on a daily basis. You also understand the immense joy I get from even the smallest gain and how just one new word, new food tried or new emotion expressed can bring me to tears of pride and love for my son. And you share SO much new information. I have spent years pouring over books, online resources and talking to other moms to learn all I can. With the advent of Facebook, my ability to research has exploded exponentially and I thank you all for sharing. Here is a post from this morning, thanks to Anne Hodapp for passing this beauty on, I HAD to repost. So here's to mothers of special needs kiddos, I am sure you will relate as you read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Special Mother
by Erma Bombeck



Most women becaome mothers by accident, some by choice, a
few by social pressure and a couple by habit.

This year nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of
handicapped children. Did you ever wonder how mothers of
handicapped children are chosen?

Somehow I visualize God hovering over earth selecting his
instuments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As
He observes, He instructs His angels to make notes in a giant
ledger.

"Armstrong, Beth; son. Patron saint...give her Gerard. He's
used to profanity."

"Forrest, Marjotie; daughter. Patron saint, Cecelia."

"Rutledge, Carrie; twins. Patron saint, Matthew."

Finially He passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a
handicapped child."

The angel is curious. "Why this one God? She's so happy."

"Exactly," smiles God, "Could I give a handicapped child to a
mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel."

"But she has patience?" asked the angel.

"I don't want her to have to much patience or she will drown in
a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment
wears off, she'll handle it."

"I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and
independence that is so rare and so necessary in a mother. You
see, the child I'm going to give her has his own world. She has
to make her live in her world and that's not going to be easy."

"But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you." God smiles,
"No matter, I can fix that. This one is perfect - she has just
enough selfishness." The angel gasps - "selfishness? is that a
virtue?"

God nods. "If she can't seperate herself from the child
occasionally, she'll never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom
I will bless with a child less perfect. She doesn't realize it yet,
but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a
'spoken word'". She will never consider a 'step' ordinary. When
her child says 'Momma' for the first time, she will be present at
a miricle, and will know it!"

"I will permit her to see clearly the things I see...ignorance,
cruelty, prejudice....and allow her to rise above them. She will
never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day
of her life, because she is doing My work as surely as if she is
here by My side".

And what about her Patron saint? asked the angel, his pen
poised in mid-air.
God smiles, "A mirror will surfice."

2 comments:

Stacy and Mike said...

Beautiful! Thanks for re-posting!

Lindsey said...

Hi Terri! Hopped over from The Enlightened Homemaker, who linked you today. Thanks for all of the hard work that you do to help families of children with Autism. Love you ladies. I blot about my son with Autism all the time. Hope you stop by some time.