Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vegetable based icing colors and cookie/cake decorations!


Holey sweetness batman! Anyone who knows me knows that I love, love to bake and decorate cakes. I have tried over the years to use the all natural colorants found at some of the health food stores with disasterous results (think spiderman cake in a lovely pink shade rather than red). And I admit that I gave up, going back to the commercial Wilton colors and regular colored sugar sprinkles. But, the Age of Autism posted this link and I have to tell you, I am SO buying this stuff! Some of the items I have looked at do have soy which can be a concern for some, so read the ingredients. But, no LAKE colorants with aluminum, no high fructose corn syrup, hooray! Yes, it is sugar but we all need a cupcake once in a while and why should our kids have to do without the sprinkles and decorations that make them so much fun? So, for others out there wanting another option, check out their website.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Chef Hymie Grande (www.chefhymiegrande.com ) is the first and only bottled BBQ sauce to carry the seal of the American Diabetes Association on the label. It has no high fructose corn syrup, no processed sugar, it is all natural and vegan friendly. It is produced by Jamie Failtelson, a.k.a. Chef Hymie Grande of Carlstadt, NJ. 5% of proceeds go to the American Diabetes Association.

Kate said...

Hi, can you tell me if you give your son 2000 mg of the liquid calcium with his Respen? If you do how do you get him to take it all? Also, do you give him the magnesium at the same time and how much of that do you give him? Thank you very much!

And thank you for posting about this as well...I am so excited to make my kids colorful frosting again!!

Terri Burges Hirning said...

HI Kate, I do about 1500 mg of calcium and 400 mg mag citrate. I use the liquid ionic calcium from New Beginnings and their powdered mag citrate. I mix it with his other morning supplements and add in Syndion which we use for his multi-vitamin and mineral which is sweetened and flavored as well as a little stevia. My son is a trooper about supplements though. The liquids can be tough because they can taste really salty and gross. Other suggestions have even been to add to cooled broths because of the salty aspect. I just cover it with the Syndion and some stevia. I hope that helps!

Kate said...

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing