Monday, March 9, 2009

GFCF bread recipe

I have been thinking about making M some bread with my "special" blend of flours I came up with. I still was wondering about the yeast though. So, I got onto Autism Action Plan yesterday and posted a question to Dr. Woeller about the yeast and whether it would be an issue, especially since he did show a mild allergy to it on the IgG test. Dr. Woeller replied within a few hours stating that the yeasts are different and bread yeast won't become pathogenic like candida can but to introduce and give in moderation, hurray!! I will say it again, I LOVE that I can get online (on a weekend no less) and post a question and have my doctor answer me in the matter of hours, all for $37 per month, well worth it! Click the banner at the top of my blog if you want more info. Anyways, once we got that go ahead, we started making bread. I use the following recipe for any baked goods for M:

2 cups rice flour (you can mix 1/2 white rice and 1/2 brown rice if you'd like)
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup quinoa flour
1/4 cup arrowroot flour

I mix up a big batch, put the lid on and shake until well mixed. Then I use as a general "flour" sub and make sure I add about double the oil and about 50% more liquid since the coconut flour will suck up the liquid.

We used the standard white bread recipe and used our breadmaker. We doubled the oil AND water and the rest of the recipe was the same. When it came to the kneading function, my husband did open the lid and "help" it along with a spatula. It will not stick and form a ball like regular wheat since it does not have the "glue" of the gluten. And I don't like the gums like xantham which is why I experimented with flours and combos to come up with the one above. Here is the finished product and M loving it this morning as "toast" with some coconut oil on top as "butter".


1 comment:

Stacy and Mike said...

Awesome!!! I am going to give it a go! Also love the tip for the weed killer. Can't wait to do damage to those weeds without doing damage to everything else. I love your posts!!!