Saturday, October 11, 2008

Plastics revisited

I am pretty sure I posted about this, if not I fully intended to. Here is a GREAT article on toxic chemicals in plastics from Dr. Mercola's website. If you scroll down you will even find a link that is a PDF document that gives a GREAT overview of products that do or do not contain this toxin.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/10/11/what-the-chemical-industry-doesn-t-want-you-to-know-about-everyday-products.aspx?source=nl

It is very interesting to me that the article discusses the immune system and the role of T1 and T2 cells. After reading Jacqueline McCandless' book Children With Starving Brains, I learned more about the immune component to Autism. And, the explanation in this article is very, very close to what has happened in many children with Autism systems. Hmmmmm......maybe yet another connection. So, turn those plastic bowls over and check out those numbers. I did this a few years ago and got rid of ALL the bad stuff. I was very pleased to see that Tupperware (for the most part) was OK. Their Rock N Serve stuff was not good and I remember wondering why they suggest you cook at 50% power and now it makes sense. When you heat these plastics with the bad stuff in them (through microwave or dishwasher) it makes the toxins leak. So, that must be why Tupperware suggested to only heat at 50% power. I used to sell Tupperware, I started right after Matthew was born. At least I didn't have to get rid of all my stuff, just the Rock N Serve. But, I have gone with more glass and even switched to Corelle plates/bowls since you have to be careful even about painted ceramic dishes because of lead (and the high breakage rate). And there is a Corelle outlet close by! :) But all the bottles we used had the bad stuff and we used to steam sterilize those and also dishwasher them. Man, I wish I knew all this stuff years ago.....So, check your cupboards for the bad plastics and get them out. We can all benefit from less toxins, especially in the stuff that holds our food.

1 comment:

Sherri @ Dude I Made It said...

I'm with you . . . I wish I had known about BPA and plastics much sooner.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one on this kick. My husband thinks I am a little bit crazy (we've microwaved in plastic for years), but I've even converted him into using Pyrex to reheat his lunch at work.